August 8, 2014

The One in Which I Actually Start Writing Stuff

Here I go again on my own, blogging down the only road I've ever known... or something. Anyway, what I'm trying to say is welcome to my new blog, written by me, DCJonesy. I've been thinking about starting something like this for a long time but I never quite had the guts to start writing about the club I love.

So, why now?

I guess after supporting the club since 2003 and seeing our very well-documented nine-year trophy drought end, I was inspired carve out a unique niche among Arsenal fans, one that extends beyond watching the matches and wearing their jerseys and stuff. Furthermore, seeing the reactions of fans from all over the world to the FA Cup win reminded me that the scope of this club is global, indeed, and everyone belongs.

This past season was extremely cathartic for so many reasons, but winning the cup capped off a statement that Arsenal was back among the top clubs in the world again after not really being there for several years. Even before we won the cup, there was a noticeable difference among Arsenal fans I encountered this past season. Being top of the table for so much of the season certainly had something to do with it, but more people complimented me for wearing my jersey in the street or at the bar and I just felt a happiness and feeling of pride more than ever before. I'm guessing anyone who made the trip to New York for the Red Bulls match experienced this, but it's such a bizarre feeling to encounter a total stranger and have them feel almost like family if they're wearing Arsenal colors.

The way we're conducting transfer business this summer suggests that our sights are set firmly back to the very top, signing the electrifying Alexis Sanchez and replacing our departed players early in the summer transfer window. Of course, our Premier League and European rivals are strengthening around us, too, but this time it doesn't feel as though the other clubs are running laps around us. Arsenal is setting themselves up to be right in the thick of things, in the league and in Europe. Truthfully, it's where we always belonged. It's just good that we're actually giving it a go this time.

Before I close, it's probably worth mentioning that I have no idea what I'm doing. I'll be making this up as I go along, which is how I do most things, for better or for worse. It will mostly be a challenge not to copy Arseblog word for word, but I'll try. As for how this is going to go, such as whether there will be regular features or not, I haven't a clue. I'll cross those bridges once I come to them. For now, it's all about getting my rambling thoughts collected and posted here, loving and supporting the Arsenal and seeing where this journey takes us from here. I couldn't be more excited for things to get started this season.

No comments:

Post a Comment